Greetings all -
Saturday Update #1 on viaOS development
- New name and landing spot
- New forums and basic website are up! Invite your friends and join.
- Plan for old forums is to go “read only” on 1-18-2020 - Next Saturday
- New twitter account is up - @vialinux - https://twitter.com/vialinux
Questions and what do you we want?
This will help make sure the next version hits the mark.
- What are the 5 most important things you need in a “new” OS?
- What things should most definitely be left out
- What is your current OS, or what do you use for work and or play?
Things we know today
- viaOS is the new name
- It will be based on Ubuntu
- It will be released a week following Ubuntu 20.04 (so May 1st, 2020)
- It will have 2 versions (light desktop, and an i3 version)
Random thought and topic we need help with
- What desktop should we use? LXDE is in a strange state, LXQT is also a bit strange, XFCE is pretty stable and nice, but slightly heavier, i3 is great but not for “normal” users typically, the rest? I am all ears. Let me know what you think we should do? The most important thing is that its supportable and something that will behave predictably and be skinny on resources.
Thats it for day…lets get the forums populated and build this community and site back up and work towards our next release of viaOS 1.0!